Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Just when you think things are good...

You would think that by now I would just expect this shit to happen and not go on my happy way thinking things are OK. We had a good day yesterday. Brent went in for his "procedure" with Dr Mc Snippy and all went well. Had a busy day since I was playing nurse maid since he had to stay off his feet and keep his boys on ice. I had to keep the two kids occupied so they would leave him be, bath and put both kids to bed etc. No huge deal. Then as I am putting the kids to bed I get a phone call.

It is my step dad's g/f. I was busy so Brent took a message. My sister, who was on her way out to Manitoba with her kids to visit him was a no show still. So I had to track my sister down...she had been delayed and with the girls being so cranky she just wanted to drive the 2.5 hours to Brandon and get them into a hotel so they could sleep. Anyhow I talked to her for a bit then relayed the message to Val (Dad's g/f) via MSN.

This is where my day went to shit. My step dad isn't doing overly well at the moment. His memory is shot it seems. He is getting confused and forgetting things. First sign that I had of anything weird was that a few days ago Chris (my sister) had called him and he thought she was supposed to have been there a few days before. Not a huge thing...I have messed up on dates too. But after talking to Val, I learned he has been forgetting a lot lately. She left him a blister pack of his meds along with a note as to when to take it.....she came home to him stoned on his meds and had taken 3 (I think) blisters not just the one and has no recollection of doing it. She has had to hide his meds on him so he doesn't accidentally OD or something because he can't remember if he took his meds or not. He tires very fast and she said he can barely stand long enough to fix himself something to eat, walks with a cane now and needs help showering (they also got one of those shower seats).

This is not the stuff I want to hear about my dad who hasn't quite hit 60 years old yet. His last MRI in Dec showed no change in the size of his brain tumour but that is not necessarily good news. This means his last gamma knife radiation surgery didn't affect the tumour as we had hoped it would. Shrinkage is what we needed and it isn't. He is scheduled for his next MRI to check on the status of the brain tumour on the 20th of this month. Frankly, I am scared shitless. First the seizure last month....now it has been a downhill slope since it seems. If his cancer is growing and affecting him this fast....outlook will not be good. I am hoping that it is his meds causing all of this but something in my heart tells me it's not. His g/f doesn't want to say if this is the downward slide we all have been dreading since his diagnosis...but I can tell she is scared too.

So...I just don't feel like being online and socializing much at the moment. So if I go awol from the various boards I normally go to for a bit, don't worry. I am around...just don't feel like being "around" kwim?

6 comments:

Jen K. said...

*hugs* Stacy. Thinking of you and your whole family.

Leslie said...

lots of love and hugs to you Stace. I'll be praying for your step-dad!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Stacy. :hug:

Patti H said...

Awww Stacy I am so sorry you and your family are faced with this. Cancer sucks!! It hurts so much not to be able to help your Dad. I was there with my Dad too. Hugs Stacy.

Cheri Pryor said...

How is your step-dad doing? Been thinking about him..and you...((hugs))

Nurse Amber said...

my love and prayers going out to you and the family...If you need to talk you have the # XOXO